Re: [MV] The MVPA Tobyhanna page

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 19:12:18 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Chriss <cchriss@ix.netcom.com>
To: Richard Notton <Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk>; MV List <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 08 August 1998 01:29
Subject: Re: [MV] The MVPA Tobyhanna page

Hi Chuck and MV people at large,

>I think the MVPA has made an effort to be international in scope and has
>chapters in many countries. How effective they are in the EC (or the US or
>anywhere for that matter) depends on the issue at hand -- it is still a
>hobby for most people.

I think you're right.

There has been much talk of Beltring or more properly The War and Peace Show
as its officially called, one or two list members have been able to attend
and I'll just list the categories with numbers to give the scale of this
event here since many have asked.

Trying to cover all the types is an impossible task and beyond the MV list
precepts possibly:

Heavy Vehicles:
eg. CCKW 353, Reo, Scammell, Diamond T, AEC, Bedford, Thornycroft, Mack
etc., 209 entrants.

Tracked Armour:
Just one Bren Carrier.

Wheeled Armour:
eg., half-tracks, Ferret, Fox, Dingo, Sd.Kfz.7, BDRM-2 etc., - 85 entrants.

Artillery:
5 entrants but including an 88mm and Pak 37.

Heavy Armour:
eg., Stuarts, Panzers, Shermans, M18, T34, Sexton, Abbot. - 33 entrants.

Miscellaneous:
eg., trailers, fire pumps, airfield tugs, M274 etc., - 85 entrants.

Motorcycles: - 179 entrants.

Light vehicles:
eg., Kubels, Champs, Land Rovers, Chevrolet, Studebaker, Austin, Hillman,
Stower, Morris etc., - 342 entrants.

Medium Vehicles:
eg: Fordson WOT, WC51, 52, M42, CMP, Morris Commercial, Horch, Humber, Volvo
etc., - 188 entrants.

Amphibious vehicles: - 24 entrants.

Ambulances: - 26 entrants.

Bicycles: - 41 entrants.

Displays and re-enactment groups: - 61 entrants.

"Jeeps" - of all types: - 382 entrants.

Some 1600 vehicles on show and a mammoth task to see it all even in 3 days,
if anyone gets the chance to go don't hesitate.

Regards.

Richard
(Southampton UK)