[MV] Rare Find

Jim Rice (jimrice@iamerica.net)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 20:28:42 -0500

Well folks, here's one for the record books.

I sat down to check the e-mail this evening and I received the
following:

> Jim,
> I aquired a GPW engine yesterday . Ray said he thought you knew
> someone looking for one. This one is frozen up,has a broken exhaust
> manifold,and a bent fan on first inspection. The engine # is
> GPW 99560. If it doesn't break loose It ought to at least be good > for parts.
>
> Mark

Now finding a GPW engine is by no means a rare find. The fact that I am
looking for a GPW engine to replace my '47 CJ-2A engine is not rare
either. What is rare is that my GPW frame serial number is GPW 99560.
THIS IS MY ORIGINAL ENGINE!!!! What makes it more amazing is the
original engine was removed around 1968-70 according to the man I
purchased the GPW from in 1995. He bought the GPW from his father in
'68 and was unhappy with the engine which he said was worn out. When I
asked what he did with the engine, he could not recall what he did with
it. He replaced it with a Buick 225 cid V6.

Engine GPW 99560 seemed to travel about thirty miles north over the
years. If ended up sitting on a farm for years. Somehow, during
clean-up, the engine found it's way back to the town where I live. My
friend found it in a scrapyard and drug it home. He found out through a
mutual friend that I was looking for a GPW engine. Tomorrow at noon, I
take possession of MY matching GPW engine.

>From the descriptions of my friends (I haven't seen it yet), it is still
Ford Grey with no signs of having ever been rebuilt. Additionally, it
is basically complete although the manifold is broken.

So which odds are greater? This or winning the Power Ball Lottery?

Sorry for being so long winded, but I had to let everyone know of the
find of the Century.

Jim