Re: [MV] The MVPA Tobyhanna page

Jon Shoop (shoop19@idt.net)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:23:10 -0400 (EDT)

At 12:34 AM 8/10/98 -0000, you wrote:
>john@astory.com
>http://www.astory.com
>
>----------
>> From: SBJohnston@aol.com
>> To: Mil-Veh@skylee.com
>> Subject: Re: [MV] The MVPA Tobyhanna page
>> Date: Saturday, August 08, 1998 10:52 PM
>>

>> Mike Sommer wrote:
>>
>> >An open letter to MVPA... re the MVPA Tobyhanna page...
>> >you took up a lot of space to say not very much... How
>> >can us non-member MV types like myself ... who
>> >usually don't have time to go to conventions make any
>> >decisions with a page like that?
>>
>> I agree, but I wonder if perhaps our organization doesn't really want
>"popular
>> support". The harsh reaction from some members to your "open letter"
>seems
>> to indicate a closed, "mind your own business", join-us-or-shut-up
>attitude.
>> I find it interesting when mild, well-reasoned criticism such as yours is
>met
>> with such strong, overly defensive reactions like those.
>
>It was great to meet with some of the people who write to this list at
>Tobyhanna. Thanks for stopping by and talking about projects, the
>me-wants, and thanks for taking some of those wonderful Russian Radios off
>my hands. The show, despite the best efforts of a few, was a really great
>show. Lots of interesting people.
>
>But I have to agree with some of the criticism. My neighbors were not the
>most friendly types. I also heard from some long time members about how
>bad the economy was, and how there were waves of people back in the early
>80's, and nobody bought anything anymore. When I reminded this person that
>the MB air cleaner on his table for $150.00 used to cost $10.00 in the
>early 80's, the guy got a look on his face like a frog lookin' at a
>wristwatch. That is the real reason for the change in attendance. This
>has become an expensive hobby. It is easy to convince some one to bite a
>$1000.00 bullet for a jeep, but harder to convince them to take the
>$8000.00 bite on one mostly restored.
>
>And auto crushing. Did it really net the MVPA any new members? Did it
>really inspire someone to go out and save that junk jeep in his neighbor's
>backyard? Did it inspire some one to get out the check book and buy that
>Sherman for $45,000?
>Would jeep rides over an off road trail have gotten more members? Can we
>be more creative in attempting to get the public out? Certainly.
>
>For me, it was all about being in a shopping mall for missing Carryall
>knicks and knacks. And I got to meet Bob Brown, GTB Guru, and ask him
>about the front wheel drive question we spoke here on the list. I talked
>with several Carryall owners, going through the throes of restoration. And
>a WWII vet of the 34th Division in Italy spent an hour of his time telling
>me how he was wounded and evacuated after he found out I am a medic. It
> [...]

Great comments John!

I agree...the car crushing was a bust...too much dust.........trailride a
much better idea......God knows...there were plenty of trucks to do it.

Lots of really nice armor. Met a couple of guys from the list......Joe Young
(MVTrucker@aol.com) and Pasquale Lombardi (PasqualeNJ@aol.com). Talked about
our common interests. Could not have asked for better weather.....all in
all...a great trip!

Jon D. Shoop