Re: [MV] Role of Dozers in Military

Jim Webster (jimweb@SIMONIDES.PRESTEL.CO.UK)
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:00:08 +0100

Dave Cole wrote:
> What were/are Dozers used for in the Military. I'm not talking about
> armored units, but standard heavy duty Bulldozers, 14 ft blades and 2-300
> hp. etc.

I commanded one for over a year, It was the 3rd vehicle in our Squadron
headquarters [Uk Armd Regiment Centurion/Chieftain] The centurion one
wasn't too bad apart from the fact that it was still armed with a 20
pounder long after everyone else had upgraded to 105mm. Slight tendency
to see-saw a little whenever the driver did anything while on the move
and going cross country there was a real danger of getting motion
sickness!

Hardly ever had the blade fitted on the Chieftain one as the stress on
the engine was thought to be two great and the only time I ever went out
with it fitted the engine packed up three times.

TTFN
Jim