Re[2]: [MV] M3 Scout Car

SCHERRER, TIM (TIMS@ACADEMIC.TRUMAN.EDU)
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:49:21 CDT

I had the pleasure of borrowing Carol Venable's Scout Car for a WWII ree
nactment in 1996. I got an army reserve unit to ship them up from St.
Louis to Kirksville for free. It was my first MV exprience and probably
why I own a GPW and a Chevy 1 1/2 ton today.

For assistance I got my two roomates-who were ROTC cadets and had just a
s much knowledge as I did about the entire process. Fortunately the arm
y reserve NCO's who brought them up knew a lot more than we did.

The first thing that bit me was the foot pedal starter. We sat there li
ke idiots for 5 minutes trying to start it with the key. After we figu
red that out, we then realized it had no parking brake so it took either
four feet to start it--or someone turning their feet sideways to hit the
clutch and brake with the left, and gas and starter with the right. We
finally got her started and moving. We then began to learn the joys of
double clutching.

The real fun of the adventure was to reload on Sunday after the event.
I had to drive it back 10 miles back to town. It was a driving railstor
m and the windshield was gone in the Scout Car. I was driving down high
way 63 in the scout car getting drenched from head to foot--just to make
sure we didn't miss the debarkation time for the reserve guys. I had he
r wound up pretty good--40 mph down a US highway when the front end shut
tered. After I slowed down and changed my pants, we got her into town
without incident--got her loaded and on her merry way back to St Louis.

I called Carol sure that we'd done something wrong with his Scout Car.
He said it did that all the time and don't worry about it. GREAT.

Two months after that I bought a jeep--so as screwed up as that all was
it definately sparked something in me--for it gave me the OD fever! Tim

>I am fortunate in that I get to drive (and maintain) a 1941 White M3A1
>Scout Car. As for the heat....yep, it is damn hot. Try driving one
>around SW Oklahoma where summer temps regularly exceed 100 degrees F.
>
>As for shifting. Well, that just takes practice. First, the range is
>NARROW. You MUST have the lever in the exact position. Also, double
>clutching helps, but it can be shifted okay without doing it. I have
>also found that placing the shift lever in the "notch" with a slight
>amount of pressure for a couple of seconds before actually sliding it
>into gear helps. Be careful that you don't push too hard or it will
>sure grind the gears.
>
>Down shifting is a joy, especially durig a turn where every ounce of the
>Armstrong power steering required. To down shift, you MUST double
>clutch and rev the RPMs up to match engine and tranny speed. If you
>don't, you will never get it.
>
>If you miss a gear in the Scout car, you will just about have to stop to
>get it back into second gear (we don't use first).
>
>I love driving the Scout Car. Having suffered injuries to both
>shoulders over the years, I usually ache after a good drive. But hey,
>it is a pain I am willing to accept.
>
>Jim Rice
>'42 IHC M-3L-4 1 1/2 Ton Truck (which I still have trouble shifting)
>'43 Ford GPW
>'51 M100 1/4 ton jeep trailer
>'67 Ford M-151A1
>Visit my website at: cust3.iamerica.net/jimrice/index.htm
>

>Buettner Family wrote:
>>
>> Hello List,
>>
>> On Sunday I got the chance to drive a M3 Scout Car. There were only
>> two things I did not like about driving it, and perhaps the list can help
>> with these. The owner asked me to post this as to possibly correct these
>> problems.
>>
>> Problem number one: Heat Build-up. After driving the Scout car for about
>> 15 min, the driver's area heats up to "unsafe" levels (it gets D**N
>> hot in there) During WW II they used Absestos to shield the
>> passenger compartment from the engine but what would be a good
>> and safe alternative to use today.
>>
>> Problem Number Two: Shifting into Third or Fourth. It sometimes simply
>> wont go. Is this common or is there a real problem here. The owner
>> heard
>> that this is just one of the joys of owning a scout car.
>>
>> Thank you for your help in these matters. And don't forget to mark your
>> calanders for the 2nd annual Military Vehicle Show in Appleton, WI on Sept.
>> 12&13. (E-mail me for more innfo if interested.)
>>
>> Robert Buettner
>> Appleton, WI

>> |Reenacting WW II as a soldier in the |
>> |1st Inf. Div., 16th Inf. Regiment. |
>> |"No mission too difficult, no sacrifice too |
>> |great, duty first." |
>> |The Buettner Family buettner@dataex.com |

> [...]

* Tim A. Scherrer "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of *
* Facilities Supervisor your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971 *
* Truman State University *
* WP: 816-785-5551 CPT, MI, USAR *
* WF: 816-785-4201 Commander, D/2/334th INF RGT *
* HP: 816-665-6704 *
* E-mail: TIMS@ACADEMIC.TRUMAN.EDU *