Re: [MV] Going faster

Ken (kweiss@wans.net)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 18:09:22 -0600

I have an XM211 that runs on the highway at speeds roughly between 45 - 50
mph and I've had her up to 60 mph before but, at that speed she's screaming.
I talked to the local GMC medium and heavy duty truck parts dept. and they
said that they could order new ring and pinion gears for the truck. However,
starting at roughly $350.00 USD a set(depending on size, I.E. 9", 10", 11"
and ratio I.E. 5:79, 5:42, etc, etc...) and you need at least two sets(If
you never intended to use the front wheel drive again, but ideally you'd
need three sets) You could gain about another 10 mph but maybe more
importantly, you'd be driving at a slower rpm on the engine. The GMC inline
6 is governed for around 3400 rpm and even at 45 - 50, the engine sounds
like it's going to blow a piston or something. In fact, I really don't like
pushing the engine for extended periods of time as my pockets aren't as deep
as Uncle Sam's. What I'm really trying to say is... If you think that it
bothers other people on the highway that your going so slow, let them go
around. After all, it is a deuce and a half and it's designed to go slow.
Like I always said "I'd like to see a Porsche 944 take 2.5 tons off-road!"

Ken
Lone Star - MVPA
'53 XM211 Korean War era Deuce and a half troop/cargo truck.
'54 XM105E3 1 1/2 ton Trailer