Re: [MV] mb/gpw engine

Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 18:50:48 -0400

>I found a CJ 2A last week and it has a military head on the block
>but i could not see the numbers behind the oil filter
>i thought i would ask the group a couple of questions
>1 How can i tell if the block is military or not the numbers
>are blocked by the oil filter

The 638632 block was shared by the MB and the early CJ-2As. The only easy
way (that I can describe over e-mail) to really determine it is indeed a
late MB or early CJ-2A is by the engine number.

>2 would the CJ 2A have had the metal spacers between the
>hoses for the radiator

Yes. The early CJ-2As had the metal pieces. (Actually a lot of the CJ-2As
had them....)

>Thanks in advance for any help as i am considering buying
>this jeep if the block and head are mb/gpw
>p.s. the head has willys and jeep.

What is the casting number of the cylinder head? If it is a 640161 head, it
is a CJ-2A head. The first castings of this head did not have the
reinforcement rib. Sometime in 1946, the design was modified and the
reinforcement ribs were added. (Would have to look at the Engineering
Release Forms to find the exact date.) Some early ones may have the 639660C
casting. What is the serial number of the CJ-2A?

Todd Paisley