Re: [MV] Going faster

Gil Huguley (Gil@huguley.com)
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 18:52:01 -0700

I think 80+ MPH in a 211, m35, m37, etc is pretty stupid.

Ryan J. Geyer wrote:

> You could always put a newer gas engine in it that would rev higher.. My
> M37 has a new 318 motor in it and with stock gears and tires I push nearly
> 80 at 4000 on the tach.. Thing is in my truck that speed is pretty scarry I
> can only imagine what it would be like in a 2.5 ton..
>
> Your options for making it go faster are really quite plentiful.. The
> question is how plentiful you time, money, and patience is.. You could put
> in a nice 455 Olds or a 460 Ford engine so you can turn everything faster..
> Then maybe get a new gear box with a higher 5th or 6th gear.. Then there is
> always an overdrive unit.. Or maybe turning the transfercase around so it
> multiplies instead of splits engine RPM.. Or you can put higher gears in
> the axles, or maybe new axles altogether perhaps with a 4:11 gear ratio..
> 8-) Then if you really want to get crazy you can get taller tires too..
> Put some 60 inchers on there and you could gain a lot of top end speed..
> Dunno how you would ever get it started.. Maybe with low range.. It all
> depends on what you really want in the end, how enginuitive you are, and how
> much money you got.. Heck if you changed out the whole drive train maybe
> you could have something that could conceivably turn tires at about 120-130
> MPH.. I would hate to see something that big going that fast on land
> though.. 8-)
>
> Just my 30 Cents worth.. I am pondering similar things with my M37.. It
> needs serious enough engine work that I am considering a bigger one. Then I
> really need new axles so should I go with a newer one with a higher gear?
> Then if I do and get bigger tires will I still have a decent low range for
> rock crawling? So many questions.. Hehe.. If you do get your 2.5ton to go
> 80 I'd like to take a ride in it.. ;-)
> -Ryan J. Geyer-
> "Pixy"
> "Tiny"

I've had an M-816 5 ton 6x6 over 85 mph before. It was really easy, too. Coming
down the west side of Snoqualmie Pass in Washington state, I just pushed in the
clutch and let 'er go! The ride was a little bouncy, but not all that bad. Oh
yeah, I had 1200 gallons of Mogas in the back helping push me along.