Re: [MV] M116A2 Wheels

Ken (kweiss@wans.net)
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 13:04:38 -0600

Bill Mesmer wrote,

>I have an M116A2 3/4 Ton Generator Trailer with the typical 9.00 X 16
>tires and Split Rim wheels. My problem is servicing the tires on the
Split
>Rim wheels. I know enough about Split Rims to know that I don't want to
touch
>them myself. When I go to most tire shops they treat me and my Split Rims
>like we have some sort of contaigous disease. They don't even want to hear
>the words "Split Rims".

I have a XM211 that has a flat on it right now. I can remove the tire and
tube myself and then patch the tube. Then put it back together. But then
I'll be taking it to a local heavy duty truck tire company which I
specifically asked if they had a cage for reassembling "split rim" wheels.
They do. It will cost only $20. My father ran a motorpool unit for 5 years
and he told me stories of the rings coming off of "split rims" inside the
cage. He said it sounded just like a cannon shot and that ring would fly
around in the cage. For sure could easily kill a man or at least take off
your arm, if it were in the cage.

We have a delivery business and one of our older trucks had the same split
rims that the XM211 has. Well one day the truck got two flats on the same
axle. The service guy replaced the tires on the split rims on the side of
the road with no cage!!! I was thinking that if those rings ever came off,
he would for surly been killed.

You should be able to find a heavy duty truck tire company that will do the
work and have a cage.

Ken
Lone Star - MVPA