Re: [MV] 1940 Morris-Commercial 8cwt PU 4X2 info

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:34:44 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: mike kelly <vk3cz@hotmail.com>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 03 September 1998 02:19
Subject: [MV] 1940 Morris-Commercial 8cwt PU 4X2 info

> I would like to generate some interest in "other than
>U.S. type vehicles" I recently found a 8cwt 4X2 PU Morris-Commercial
>that is in need of restoring. These little trucks were built from 1936
>to 1941. It is fitted with 9.00 X 13" balloon tyres.

Hooray !

The PU was only ever fitted with 13" rims, the non-sand pattern tyres
are extinct but "Olympic" Australian copies of the Dunlop sand type are
readily available although quite scary on anything but dry tarmac and
sand.

Most were lost at Dunkirk in such numbers that they were recovered by
the Germans and re-bodied as a Kfz.15 (Morris-Commercial) as were
Chevrolet FC, JA and GA. All desert Morris types were singled out for
capture by Rommel owing to their reliability and speed, un-governed PU's
will make over 80MPH at 4000 RPM and are exceedingly quick off the mark,
the military carburettor has a velocity governor set to 2650 RPM giving
a little over 50 MPH.

> Does anyone know of another restorer/collector who
>owns one of these trucks ?? I know of 3 surviving here in Australia,
>one is very complete with its original body, the other two (including
>mine) are missing the original rear bodies.

I have two very good friends 400yds away restoring a PU to as new, one
of two known in the UK, with a CDSW and CS8 awaiting attention in a few
years time, I see them daily (use the facilities !) to lend a hand.
Original bodies here suffer the weather, we don't have a climate, they
are generally fit for pattern use only.

> The engine is a 6 cyl. side valve with a updraft
>carburettor. I am looking for a Manual/Parts book and any leads to
>mechanical parts etc.

Stocks of restorable parts are available and the extensive documentation
can be copied, let me know privately, however the Aust.$/UKP exchange
rate will bring tears to your eyes.

> Thanks for reading this, many military vehicles were
>Right hand drive, believe it or not !!!!!

It is a pity that the once common Bedfords, Albions, Thornycrofts,
Morris's, Austins, Commer's, Guy's, Humbers, AEC's and 815,000 CMP's are
largely forgotten together with the huge output of US types specifically
for export to the European theatre in the early years; as you cannot
readily mail-order parts or ready-made canvas for these it may have
quite a lot to do with it.

Regards,

Richard
(Southampton UK)