Re: [MV] gas guage 151A1

SBJohnston@aol.com
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 13:24:18 EDT

Stu wrote:

>Is it normal for the needle on the fuel guage to
>vibrate wildly while driving my 151A1? When I am
>stopped or the tank is very full it works ok.

If you've double-checked the wiring to the gauge and the sender, and are sure
the ground connection on the sender is good, then it is likely the rheostat on
the sender is dirty, corroded, or intermittent.

The rheostat is a coil of resistance wire with a sliding contact, much like
the speed control in old Lionel toy train sets.

As the float moves up and down a bit with the motion of the fuel, the contact
may be moving around making poor connection, then a good connection, then
poor, and so on, causing the bouncing gauge reading.

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com