RE: [MV] M715 - How to drain lube from steering box ?

Mark Masse (mmasse@islc.net)
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 17:19:36 -0700

> I want to change the gear oil in the steering box on my M715.
> There doesn't
> seem to be an obvious drain plug. Does anybody know how to remove the old
> lubricant?

George, I'm looking at the exploded view in my "repair handbook" (Memphis
Equipment catalog, that is), and there's no drain plug depicted. There
doesn't seem to be any suitable way to drain it besides taking the cover
plate opposite the steering column shaft off. Messy job. I haven't looked
at mine, but it doesn't seem like there's enough room to go through the fill
hole with a turkey baster (with an extension hose). From the diagram, it
looks as if the roller and worm gear is right below the fill hole.

Good Luck,

-Mark Masse
1967 Kaiser M715