Re: [MV] M715 - How to drain lube from sterring box ?

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 22:33:59 +0200

George Schmidt schrieb:

> I want to change the gear oil in the steering box on my M715. There doesn=
't
> seem to be an obvious drain plug. Does anybody know how to remove the old
> lubricant?

Most times there is no drain plug on a steering gear box, because in
normal vehicles one doesn't change the oil in such a gear. There is=20
only a filler plug and the hole of this plug is the tell-tale-hole=20
for the oil level. You only have to check the oil level and replace
the oil which disappeared through leaks.

The oil is only changed, when the steering gear is rebuilt and in this
case you can put the gearbox upside down (without the car) and drain it.

Regards
Andreas