Re: [MV] M-274-A5

Bob & Jeff Gallagher (hooterdog@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:53:46 -1000

I had the 12 inch wheels on my M274A2. Also had a set of the fenders but
never used them. They were used with the TOW launcher equiped mules and
probably with others as well. The extra wide tires work great off-road but
are much better on the 4 wheel steer models than the 2 wheel steer A5...2
wheel steer takes about an acre to turn around.

Up until this year Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard still used mules for hauling
stuff around the yard. When the yard got the mules in the early 80s, 5 or
6 of them had the 12 inch wheels and fenders and electrical system. They
had no use for the big wheels and fenders so fenders were removed and the
wheels replaced with the smaller "stock" wheels. The fenders and 12 inch
wheels/tires are still neatly stacked up at the shipyard in the corner of a
warehouse, the shipyard's mules went to DRMO earlier this year.

Bob