Re: [MV] Lock key in the crankcase

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 07:00:43 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: John Bowen <oreuc@hotmail.com>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 15 September 1998 01:29
Subject: [MV] Lock key in the crankcase

>I know I should have plugged the oil drain holes first on my Jeep
>L-head, but I only needed to pull one valve. Needless to say, one
valve
>lock key went down the rear oil drain hole and sounded like it clinked
>all the way to bottom of the crankcase.

They always do no matter what motor you're working on, its amazing how
much grief can be averted with a little tuft of rag or kitchen paper
stuffed in the hole. . . . . . .

>Anybody ever perform a similar dumb trick and is there any down side to
>leaving it in there? The engine is still in the Jeep and I'd rather
not
>pull the oil pan if I don't have to.

YES. . . . . ! (and it was over 1000lbs of RR straight eight)

We've all been there surely. It just cannot stay there, the often
violent conditions in the sump (oil pan) are such that sooner or later
it will get picked up and flung about by the crank doing damage to the
pistons or camshaft, and there's a thousand and one places for it to get
jammed doing instant harm.

Bite the bullet and join the club, pull the oil pan and sleep easy at
night.

Richard
(Southampton UK)