[MV] Fuel pressure

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 12:29:14 +0200

You only get a correct mixture if you have a correct fuel level
in your carburettor. And you only get a correct fuel level, if
your pump makes the correct fuel pressure. =20

> The culprit was the new fuel
> pump having too much pressure. I used a pressue gauge and had to shim
> the pump away from the block with several gaskets to lower the pressure.

The fuel pressure of a mechanical fuel pump depends on the area of
the diaphragm and the power of the return spring. When you push the
mechanical lever, this is always the suction stroke of the pump. The
pressure stroke is the return stroke done by the spring alone.=20

So you can't modify the pump pressure, if you fit it more or less
close to the block. This way you can only modify the lenght of the
mechanical (suction) stroke and so the volume the pump makes,
but not the output pressure.

(Ok, if the volume is near nil, there is no pressure, too.)

So if the pressure of your fuel pump is too high, you must fit a
weaker return spring.

Regards
Andreas

=20