Re: [MV] MB Canvas

Douglas Greville (dgrev@apollo.ruralnet.net.au)
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:54:33 +0930

Darren

> either, is correct. I personally like the Khaki over the olive drab but I'm
> more interested in originality.
>
> Can anyone clarify this for me?

I will give you one guess as to what colour Olive Drab canvas fades to if
it sees enough sun light? Out here, highly likely; it also becomes
brittle.

So you could use Khaki canvas and be accurate, but not new condition
Khaki canvas if you really wanted to be technical.

I have seen lots of jeep wrecks out here where the olive drab and
jungle green paint has faded to more resemble Khaki than green, they
probably looked this way for more of there service life than they did
green.

I believe it was discovered during the North African campaign that the
"Sand Yellow" paint had a habit of fading to pink, not a very military
colour! Then someone noticed that the pink was a better camouflage
than the yellow. The English LRDG changed to pink paint due to this
reason. There is/was a pink Kittyhawk fighter on the US airshow
circuit, owned and flown by a female. Despite first appearances she
does have a point, as the Kittyhawk could quite possibly have
appeared this way!

So where does one draw the line? Precisely what era, what theatre and
what "exposure" do you want to portay? The effects of sun and time will
change virtually any dark colour to something different, if you ever
try to get paint matched to a genuine, yet aged sample, it becomes
complicated though possible.

When it really boils down to it, personnal preference counts for a lot,
unless that is you are lining up for "concours-d'-elegance".

Regards
Doug

Armoured Vehicles Collector
_______
_/_(_o_)_\_ ____
_/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
/ [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
|w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
M8 Ferret

dgrev@ruralnet.net.au

Web Armour site at: http://Fast.to/DG