Re: [MV] MB Canvas -Reply

WIDD-Jame (RiceJ@silltcmd-smtp.army.mil)
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 08:49:04 -0500

>>> "John Edwards" <edwardsj@bigpond.com> 09/22/98 11:05pm >>>
> There is/was a pink Kittyhawk fighter on the US airshow
> circuit, owned and flown by a female. Despite first appearances she
> does have a point, as the Kittyhawk could quite possibly have
> appeared this way!

This aircraft is owned by Pete and Sue Parrish, owners of Upjohn
pharmaceticals (I think). Sue, a WASP during WWII, retired from flying
the high performance aircraft a few years ago due to her advancing
age, not the aircraft! I believe the P-40 is still on display in the Kalamazoo
Air Zoo Museum in Kalamazoo, MI.

Yes, while the desert sand paint did fade to a somewhat pink tint, her
P-40 was not truly accurate. First, it was a gloss pink. Second, it was a
P-40N which likely never saw service in North Africa which is what it is
painted to represent, if I recall correctly.

Apologies to Arthur if this is considered off-topic.

Jim Rice
Former Warbird Pilot (B-25J, BT-13, T-28, L-4)
'42 IHC 1-1/2 Ton
'43 Ford GPW
'51 M100 1/4 Ton trailer
'67 Ford M151A1