Re: [MV] Importing vehicles from Canada

James Burrill (jburrill@dttus.com)
24 Sep 1998 02:07:38 -0500

Hi List,

Just in August, I brought home to Pennsylvania my 1944 CMP C-15A from
Ontario. Here is what happened:

Before I took my '44 GPW across the border to Canada and brought my
truck back, I called customs for both countries, as well as the rental
truck agency. To bring the Jeep into Canada, the US could have cared
less. I just drove up to the Canadian customs checkpoint.

Canadian customs had no trouble with just a notarized Bill of Sale and
me paying the import tax. I was out of their office and on the road in
less than 15 minutes.

Bringing the C-15A back into the US took a bit longer. The Agent
started looking through a big book to see what duty their was for me
to pay. As it turned out, he didn't find anything and I paid nothing
at the border.( I think he missed the item that may have had me pay 2%
duty, but who was I to argue with the agent?)

Neither county had an issue with me driving a Rental truck with
trailer. Neither asked to see the rental agreement.

U-Haul gave me a bad quote over the phone prior to my first attempt.
When I showed up to get the truck, the quote was low by almost 700.00
It was going to cost me 1500.00 for 900 miles and 3 days.

Ryder gave me the same size truck and trailer for 3 days and 620.00.

After 4 other negative experiences with several U-Haul dealers in the
past three years, It'll be a cold day in hell before I use them
again!! (SNORT!!)

All in all, the paperwork was not a problem for either a jeep going
into Canada or a CMP coming to the states.

In Pennsylvania, I turned over the old title, along with the US
Customs form and only paid 75.00 to register it as an Antique. And
since I traded the jeep for the C-15 and no cash was involved, I
didn't have to pay any sales tax. PA...Good State!!

Next month I am bringing in a Universal Carrier Mk1 and since it was
never on the road, there is no title, just a Bill of Sale. I called US
customs and queried them on the fact that it is armoured. They said
they had no trouble with it, but call BATF. I did, and they said since
it didn't have guns or ammo, I didn't need a BATF Form 6. He said
since it was never built in the US (it was made by Ford Canada) there
was no problem with the old "Lend-Lease" restriction.

So, hopefully, all will go smoothly. I will probably hire a customs
broker to clear the Carrier, as I will not be with it. It will come
across on a commercial hauler.

Well, that is my story..

What kind of MV's you bringing back? Always looking for other CMP
enthusiasts to network with.

Cheers
Jim Burrill
215-529-7035