Re: [MV] M151 Question (Radio)

Jim Rice (jimrice@iamerica.net)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 22:16:35 -0500

Hank,

You can rest assured that in the Army, about any variety of commo set-up
is possible. As a 155mm DS Arty battery commander, I had both an
AN/VRC-46 (RT-524) and AN/VRC-47 (RT-524 and R-442) set-up in my M998
(HMMWV). My commo sergeant came up with the additional equipment when I
wanted the extra band. Made my life much easier!!! Whenever an RT-524
would crap out (which was sometimes very often), it wasn't uncommon for
me to find it replaced with the PRC-77 set-up (don't recall the model
number). The overall configuration was either AN/GRC-64 or 160.
Difference depended upon whether the equipment necessary for conversion
to manpack was provided or not. Seems 64 was with and 160 was without.
Of course, I probably have it backwards.

Hope this helps.

Jim Rice--Lawton, Oklahoma
'42 IHC 1.5 ton truck (FOR SALE--$3700)
'43 Ford GPW