Re: [MV] Re: m715 dieselling

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 16:33:19 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Cole <DA_Cole@compuserve.com>
To: MV List <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 03 October 1998 15:33
Subject: Re: [MV] Re: m715 dieselling

>I understand that some of the big airplane engines in WWII were
equipped
>with water injection systems so they could get off the runway while
using
>lower quality gas. So dumping water into the carb while reving it up
is
>really nothing new. Just don't use a hose!

In the correct amounts it should give more power by keeping the inlet
charge cooler and therefore more dense, the cooling is effected by the
latent heat of vaporisation of the injected water.

Commonly used on many piston aero engines owing to excessive charge
temperatures at high supercharger boost levels to offset detonation and
dieseling, most systems were automatic in operation depending on
manifold pressure and were often a 50/50 water/methanol mix.

The Pratt & Witney R4360 Wasp Major (28 cyl - 4363cu in) for instance is
fitted as standard with water injection and operates at 50" - 54" of
mercury manifold pressure.

Richard
(Southampton UK)