[MV] neutering front axles

Bennett, Michael (MAB5@pge.com)
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 08:50:32 -0700

>> My determination was that neutering the front end by making drive flanges
>> w/o splines was much better and caused an increase in power, gas
>> mileage and a decrease in road noise.

> BUT, if the front hubs don't have a bearing for the axle shaft to ride
> in where they pass through the hub won't they wear out the hub or the
> axle shaft? Hubs made for lockouts have a bearing for the axle to
> ride in when the hub is disengaged (That is: axle stationary, hub
> rotating). At least my GMC M-135 doesn't seem to have support for
> the axle stub.

Umm..........If the drive flanges are neutered, [shall we call cutting the
splines off the "Bobbitt" modification? :) ] there is no connection between
the axle shafts themselves and the wheel hubs on a GMC "banjo" type front
axle (M135/211, CCKW, DUKW, Chevy 1.5 ton, etc..). The front axle shafts
will just lay there (motionless, inside the spindles) even though the front
wheels may be turning, as long as the front axle is not engaged at the
transfercase. They won't wear (significantly) if they're not turning. If
you engage the front axle with neutered flanges installed, yes, you'll cause
significant wear to the spindle and the axle shaft because the end of the
axle shaft is not supported.

Of course, if you make this modification, and temporarily forget and charge
thru some place and get stuck, it may be a tad difficult in re-install the
normal drive flanges. Maybe we better add a small note to the dashboard
which says "neutered" on one side and "non-neutered" on the other, that way
we could keep track! :)

Mike Bennett 1944 DUKW (not neutered yet)
Frenso, California