[MV] Diesel Shut Down Times

Mark Foster (mfoster@shore.net)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 21:17:00 -0400

>There is a need for letting a diesel engine sit idle for 5 minutes before
>shut off.... this does two things (at least that is what I have read)...(I'm
>not a mechanic)...

A diesel engine when running at high RPM and under load, heats up the
exhaust system. The supercharger which sits in the exhaust system gets hot
but the bearings and seals are cooled by the constant flow of engine oil.
If after running your engine hard, you immediately shut the engine down
there is no cooling for the bearings and seals and a high probability for
damage (I believe the seals are most susceptible).

Mark Foster