RE: [MV] M715 Dieseling--One Final Observation

Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 19:42:28 -0700 (PDT)

I've done this to my Chevy pickup for over 300,000 miles, if it was
going to hurt it it would have done it by now. My problem is that I
drive it short distances where it doesn't warm up enough to take the
choke off so if it idles a bit high it'll diesel on shutdown, not
always, only when its not warmed up enough. And I haven't ever let it
warm up before driving it, I take it easy until it is up to temp though.

Joe F

---Mark Masse wrote:

> > A standard procedure for engines doing what yours is doing, was
> > to turn off
> > the ignition switch and let up the clutch at the same time with
your other
> > foot on the brake pedal. Works just fine. Even itty bitty female
> > (oops) E2's
> > could do it. 1SG PANTANO
>
> This is the method I was using--I just didn't like all the stress
and strain
> it put on the drivetrain. All the gear backlash is taken up and the
whole
> thing gets a big jolt before stopping the engine. Often the engine
would run
> backwards after the ignition was turned off--nothing to time the
ignition of
> the combustible gasses. It would puff exhaust out of the carburetor
and
> sound horrible as it was dieseling.
>
> The root cause of the whole mess is tune-up related, in my opinion.
If the