Re: [MV] 1934 Dodge Military trucks- rare and important

JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 06:59:10 -0000

john@astory.com
http://www.astory.com

>the vehicles seemed
> rare and unique enough to report on...

Vehicles from the 1920's and 1930's haven't gotten too much attention from
the military vehicle collectors. While this is due to rarity, lack of
text, and preoccupation with WWII and its developments, this is an
important area for collectors to look at. In the two decades between the
World Wars, the US sent troops to Nicaragua, Panama, the Phillipines, and
Siberia. All these forces were equipped with vehicles, and most of the
officers leading the smaller units as Captains and Lieutenants were later
Generals during WWII. The whole family of MB/GPW's, CCKW, WC, et al didn't
just spontaneously develop by the visions of the wizards of Detroit- most
of the features in the designs were inspired from feedback from the field
in the maneuvers and deployments in those two decades.
(Here's some conjecture) The US did not completely copy the organization
or design standards of the Wehrmacht. The US motor vehicle doctrine (if
you can visualize a 'doctrine' for such development) was perhaps an organic
outgrowth of these "between the wars" experiences?
Definitely worth arguing about, but I don't have much to argue with- I
don't know much about this period.
The only thing I know is that at our auction, I got to drive the 1940
Indian Chief with Sidecar and the 1943 MB through the same rough terrain a
few times- basically a comparison of 1920's recon technology with WWII
recon technology- what a difference! But what an evolutionary step, too.
Comments?