Re: [MV] Winter Driving

Todd and Audrey Hall (athall@flash.net)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 09:30:42 -0600

----------

>I am about to enter my first winter in Vermont
with my newly purchased M715. My intention is to
use the vehicle when the going on my back roads
gets tough with deep or packed snow and occasional
ice patches. When I tried the same thing with my
M38 and its Military Non-Directional tires it was
a disaster. Will the 900-16 Non Directional tires
on my M715 be any better or do I need to go to
some type of commercial tires? Another option I
guess would be tire chains. What would a set cost
and could I do it with a set on just two wheels
and, if so, which two wheels?
>Looking for some experienced comments so that I
can avoid findig out the hard way (although I do
have a winch on it).

>Thanks in advance.
>Jack
I've had some experience in winter driving so
maybe I can help. Tire chains are the way to go.
If possible
get 2 sets. Even radial mud and snows can't come
close to the security of chains. On the front you
get better
control but the back end can still try to pass the
front on hills or when braking. Never hit a snow
bank with
one side of the vehicle at speed. Just a small
drift can grab one side of a vehicle and flip it
either onto its
side or top or you could end up going backward at
the snap of your fingers. Slow is best. If you
have locking
hubs on the front, lock them in and leave them
until the roads are dry. That way you have 4wd
when you
need it, and can shift in without stopping. I
used to have 2 79 Fords that I would shift in up
to 60 mph.
Never had any problems with the drive train
either.
No matter what some people say stopping
in 4wd
is better than 2wd AS LONG AS THE WHEELS DON'T
LOCK UP AND SKID. If you ever drive the same
snowy roads first in 2wd than in 4wd you should
feel a definite difference in stopping and
steering if not too icey or rutted, or too fast
I have found that it is more
dangerous driving when snow is first starting to
fall. The ground
melts some and the cold air turns it to slush and
ice. Also other drivers seem to think they can
still go at
top speed. It always seem to take a while for
some to figure out they don't have the control of
dry pavement.
With fresh fluffy snow you can drive through some
deep stuff. Once it has had time to settle if the
front end
starts to push snow it Will stop you. It packs up
and eventually lift the front wheels away from
their traction
surface. Everything between the tires will be
setting on a pile of snow. If the front is
pushing snow the back
end is too. When you get stuck I found that it
works best to clean out under the vehicle first.
This gets you
back onto firm ground then you have a better
chance to back out. I never have figured out
people who get out
of a stuck vehicle, dig a big hole in front or
back to drive into, dig the snow away from both
sides of the
tires than sit there and spin because the vehicle
is still setting high centered on a column of
packed snow.

One possibility with a winch, if you let the
winch do all the pulling the tires will pack the
snow in front
and float up onto this packed snow making it
easier for the winch to pull the vehicle along.
If you help
out by driving you could end up just spinning down
and making the winch pull the vehicle and any
snow that it is pushing. I know this works in mud
and I always try to keep people from "helping out"
if I pull out someone who is stuck in snow.

Also someone was asking about driving a 6X6 in
winter. I would put chains on the front at least
and take
the outside duals off the rear. The inside tires
don't line up with the front track but you will
have more weight
per tire and a better chance at traction at least.
Wheel track will only make a difference in deeper
snow.
Dual tires tend to pack between and float up to
loose traction. Kind of like one wide slick tire.
Also with
duals you are breaking new tracks on both sides of
the front track. Using more power.

When the temperature warms up snow gets slicker,
treat it like ice. Unpredictable. Take it slow.
Use chains.

Deep crusted snow it is best to stay away from.

Most of this is for some one who has never driven
in snow before but maybe it will help someone out.

Remember go prepared and carry a big shovel.

Todd Hall
Albuquerque, NM
Last 38 years Wyoming