RE: [MV] Mighty Mite dent repair. -Reply

DOConnor@zoomit.sikorsky.com
20 Oct 98 12:08:47 EDT

>Aluminum will harden as it is worked,...As the dent was worked out, the
>aluminum hardened to the point it was virtually impossible to totally
>smooth it out....

The "trick" commonly used here at Sikorsky in this situation is to have the
part heat treated to soften it back to "T0" or "T5" condition, work the
problems out, re-harden to "T6", and straighten, if necessary, by hand to
fix any warpage from heat treat. If you get hooked up with a good aircraft
repair shop they should be able to handle this procedure or have a
contractor they work with that can do the heat treat, the aircraft guys do
the wheel/hand work, and back around again to put it back to specs. Not
cheap I would guess but it depends on the results desired of course. If you
get the heat treat guys to throw it in the oven with a bunch of other stuff
that could save some $$.

Just a thought...maybe it'll help,

Dennis O'Connor
doconnor@sikorsky.com