Re: [MV] Mighty Mite dent repair. -Reply

bdk (bdk@geocities.com)
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 14:52:27 -0700

Let's not get too sophisticated! Aluminum can be annealed using an acetylene
torch. Using an acetylene rich flame, blacken the metal with soot. Now with a
neutral flame, just burn the soot off. This will heat the aluminum to the point
where it anneals. Don't go beyond the minimum required or, poof! an aluminum
puddle will result. Actually it's not that hard. A bigger torch head held
farther away from the part works better than vice versa.

Unless you beat the aluminum into submission, it shouldn't crack anyhow. If it
does, you can TIG weld it, or gas weld it using flux coated aluminum welding
rod made for this purpose. Normally, in hand forming aluminum, it is worked
until it is hard (resists stretching), and then it is annealed again. Remember
all those old Ferrari's and AC Cobra's? They were many aluminum panels beat to
shape and gas welded together.

Happy panel beating.

bdk