Re: [MV] # on M715 -Reply -Reply

Jim Rice (jimrice@iamerica.net)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 22:22:39 -0500

A unit property book is a living document so to speak. I personally
kept three copies at any given time. The initial one I signed, the most
current copy and one immediately preceeding the current one. Those were
my own copies. My supply sergeant had copies going back to who knows
when. The master copy is maintained by the division property book team
(or battalion property book officer for non-divisional units).

When a unit is deactivated, the property book is blank with all the
equipment having been eliminated through transfers, turn-in, etc.
Consequently, there exist no property book for the deactivated unit. As
for disposition on old property books, sorry, I just can't recall. It
has been over ten years since I was a property book officer (PBO) and
about six since I was a commander and dealt with the property book. I
would expect that old ones are maintained for 12 to 24 months maximum,
if that long.

Also, USA numbers are not ALWAYS listed on the PB. I had mine that way
in Germany, but don't recall how we did it at Ft Sill when I was a PBO.
I hated being a staffer so I don't really recall much as it was "hard
time" for me. I much prefer time on the line. Thank God, in December,
I am headed back to a Cannon Battalion as Bn XO!!!!!!

Jim Rice