Re: [MV] Jeeps parts and museums in California

Bob Klein (bob@campingworld.com)
Tue, 03 Nov 1998 08:33:43 -0500

Hello Chuck,

Yes, this place was really interesting. The setup this fellow had was first class.
Everything was impeccably restored including the radar. According to the curator, this
museum of the Nike missile base is the only one of its kind. The SALT or SALT II treaty (I
forget which) eliminated these sites completely except each side (Former Soviet Union and
USA) agreed one can remain open for a museum, this being that one. It was free too. I
don't have an address or a name for this museum. It was something that we just stumbled on
accidentally last year on my visit to San Francisco. It was on the north side to the
entrance of the bay. (You could see the path of the ships from this place go into the bay.
It is really close to the ocean.) OKMTRPOOL@aol.com e-mailed me and said there is
historical book of this site called "Catapult: Harry and I Build a Siege Weapon." Others
may know of this place as well. There is another interesting museum of Fort Point right
underneath (I mean literally right underneath) the south end of the Golden Gate bridge. It
is a Civil War era fort built to protect the gold in the 1850s. Another great museum to
visit. That fort is run by the National Park Service. I don't have any other info on this
one but it is quite interesting. The Park Service would be able to help you.

bob klein
bob@campingworld.com