Re: [MV] MB/GPW horn button installation?

Buzz (buzzm@reno.rmci.net)
Thu, 05 Nov 1998 21:30:25 -0800

Mick,
The wire from the horn button feeds through a hole, then solders to a
brass sleeve that is insulated from the steering shaft by a bakelite
sleeve fitted between the brass sleeve and the steering shaft. By far
the easiest way to solder it is to remove the steering gear, shaft and
tube as a unit. Usually easier said than done since you will need a
puller to get the steering wheel off with out damage. I cut a 4 inch
round out of 3/8" plate and then cut a slot wide enough to slip over the
steering column. I then used a gear puller hooked on that plate and
bearing down on the top of the steering shaft to pop the wheel off.
Before you solder the wire onto the sleeve be sure that the sleeve is
insulated from the steering shaft.
Regards,
Buzz