RE: [MV] 24V MB Starter

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 21:01:29 -0600 (CST)

>The MB radio jeeps were 12v. Wouldn't a M38 starter work since it is
>basically has the same engine???

As far as I know the M38 starter has a nose on the end of it to hold the end
bearing for the starter shaft. The MB has the bearing in the bell housing.
Option A would be to cut off the nose of an M38 starter, if I had one, even
a junker, I would look into it but hate to spend the money if it wouldn't
work. Option B would be to machine or add the bearing to the generators bell
housing, but this would require disassembly of the entire unit which is more
work than I have time for. Option C would be to get a starter from a
Hotchkiss jeep, or so I'm told. Or I suppose option D would be to forget
the whole thing. Stay tuned.

je