[MV] The Wehrmachts Topolino

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 18:23:09 +0100

Raimondo L. Torelli schrieb:
> Dear Andreas,
> H E L P!
> Did you see the above message? Did you see the Museum website? If not,
> please, contact it, check the pictures: no! they do not have a picture of=
> Ket, but the 2nd one is an Italian "Topolino", a FIAT 500 A, in a sort of
> WWII German African livery. I have never seen or knew of such a car!
> The name "Topolino" is an unofficial nickname, FIAT never used or adopted=
it.
> The Museum legend says it has been manufactured by NSU "under licence" =
in
> the 40' for use by German staff officers in a very limited number.
> Do you have any info? Or do you know where to get any info?
> The little car is very cute: please, note the Notek lamp on the left
> fender, the shovel mounting (Kubel style!), the 2 cannisters on the roof.=
=20
> Do you have an idea about the "thing" on the back, just above the spare
> wheel? What is it?
> Thank you for any help.

Dear Raimondo,

I've seen the picture of the Topolino. I think the correct name of the
vehicle is FIAT 500 (cinquecento?), but all the people called it=20
Topolino. This car was popular in Germany from the late 30s to the
50s, too.

I don't think that it was produced "under license of NSU". The "NSU
Motorenwerke" sold it's car plant at Heilbronn to FIAT in late 1928.
>From this time till the late 50s NSU produced no cars, only motorcycles

in the plant at Neckarsulm.

The new car company was called "Deutsche FIAT" the cars were sold under
the name "NSU/FIAT". This factory belonged 100 % to FIAT Italy.

So the NSU motorcycle (and Kettenkrad) company "NSU Motorenwerke,
Neckarsulm" is completely different from the NSU/FIAT company at Heilbronn,
which built FIAT cars under license.

I don't think that such a small car like the Topolino was built for
Wehrmacht use. But the Wehrmacht used thousands of confiscated civilian
vehicles. I think this was the case here, too.

The Yanks like markings and so they've painted an iron cross on the
rear side of the Topolino's roof. That's definitely wrong. The iron
cross was never painted on soft skin vehicles, only on armored vehicles.

The unit on top of the license plate on the rear left side is the
NOTEK black out tail light. I can't recognize the thing directly on top
of the rear wheel in the middle and on the right side of the vehicle.
One looks like a gas mask container.

For more information ask the FIAT Automobil AG at Heilbronn, Germany.
The FAX-no. of the press department is:

+49 7131 95 34 22

Good luck!

Best regards