Re: [MV] life in the slow lane

Alan Bowes (inbox@todacosa.com)
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:09:58 -0700

Mike, what distributor do you have in your M37? A slant-six unit maybe?

Pertonix Ignitor conversion kits are NOT available for a stock 230
distributor, either military or civilian, but if you swap in a different
distributor, you may be able to find a Pertronix kit that will fit it.

As I mentioned in a posting to one of the Dodge forums, I just put a
Pertronix setup in a stock M37 distributor, but it required customization.
I've sent the actual distributor components to Pertronix to see if they could
match up anything that would fit the stock cam assembly, but they didn't have
a drop-in unit. They do have a kit for later Dodge distributors, such as a
slant-six distributor, but these distributors have a taller cam assembly. I
used a Pertronix magnet ring that was designed for a Mallory distributor, but
had to cut down the magnet ring, fashion a retained metal cap for the magnet
ring, and use epoxy filler to adapt it to the cam.

I haven't checked the distributor cap size on the slant-six units. Perhaps
the slant-six cam and cap could be adapted to a stock civilian 230 Power
Wagon distributor??? The cam assembly should work OK, I think, but I'm not
sure about the cap.

One way to convert a slant-six distributor to a 230 would be to swap a
civilian 230 distributor shaft into the slant-six distributor, and retain the
slant-six cam assembly. However, the portion of the slant-six distributor
base that slides into the block must be machined down. I think it would be
easier to customize the Pertronix kit like I did. A big problem in putting in
a slant-six distributor, however, is that the stock military Carter ETW1 carb
does not have a vacuum advance port. Running the vacuum advance off of
manifold vacuum will produce a very different vacuum signal profile than the
port on the carb. A civilian Dodge Power Wagon carb might work OK, but this
is all a lot of hassle and I don't recommend it at all.

If you use a Pertronix kit with a 24V system, you have to use a resistor on
the red + wire to the Pertronix module to drop the voltage to the pickup. The
switching transistor can probably handle the coil primary current OK with no
ballast resistor as long as you use the stock 12-ohm ignition coil. NO
GUARANTEE on any of this advice, however. I still have some testing to do.

Sean, as to your poor engine performance, a few questions:

Does the engine miss?
Is there any hesitation in throttle response?
Does it start OK?
Does it lack power at lower AND higher RPM when under load?
Will the engine develop its full 3,200 RPM when in a low gear on level
ground?
Refresh my memory on what kind of ignition system your M43 has. Stock?

Offhand, without hearing more symptoms, I rather suspect ignition. Possibly a
faulty centrifugal advance. Improper dwell, perhaps. A bad condenser could
also be the culprit.

Could be a bad enrichment valve in the carb, but they are usually pretty
reliable.

Good luck,

Alan