Re: [MV] Unleaded gas additives

Alan Bowes (inbox@todacosa.com)
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:07:14 -0700

It seems that many of the available lead substitutes contain some kind of
low-volatility lubricant that is not entirely consumed in the
combustion/oxidation process. What remainsof this lubricant coats the faces of
the exhaust valve and seat to help prevent valve seat erosion due to
metal-to-metal contact between a hot valve and seat. The tetraethyl lead in
older gasolines did this quite effectively. I don't imagine that it would hurt
anything to use a lead substitute, especially a lubricant-based formula. You
might need to clean the plugs a bit more often, but that's just a guess. I've
also heard that these lubricants help keep carbon deposits softer and easier to
purge with other de-carbonizing additives.

Alan