Re: [MV] German armor wanted.

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 19:03:17 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Dows <mdows@longwood.lwc.edu>
To: Military Vehicle List <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 10 November 1998 22:35
Subject: [MV] German armor wanted.

Hi and welcome,

> I am new to this list. I am looking on information on obtaining
>some form of German armor for a long term restoration project. Are
>panzers simply sitting around Europe where they met their fate, or have
>they all been hauled off and dealt with by a worse fate than an AP
round
>(a blast furnace).

Panzers are definitely not sitting around Europe, and neither are
Shermans, Cromwells, Comets, Churchills, Valentines et al.

An insight to history is useful, from 1939 to the end of 1944 the
Germans built 23,487 "tanks"; slightly LESS than the British, less than
¼ of the American production and also therefore less than ¼ of the
Russian output.

They built barely one third of the US output of SPG's.

There were never enough and the war effectively ended when there were no
more left to fight with, captured examples were removed for evaluation
and one or two placed in museums, any remaining were used generally as
range targets. The British Army even completed some Panthers left on
the production lines in order to have some vehicles for evaluation.

Of the restored examples most are hidden away in the US but even so the
numbers probably don't make the fingers of two hands.

> What are approximate prices for a Hetzer, Sturmgeschutz, or
anything
>you may know?

If you could find one even.

The vehicles that are seen are a quirk of history in that some countries
had a use for them and used them post war, Panzer 3's by Norway, Hetzers
by the Czechs and Swiss.

The people who have bought and sold German W.W.II armour do not reveal
the prices, however, it is alleged that recent sales here saw a
Jagdpanzer 70 make 160,000 UKP, and a Sturmgeschutz fetched 90,000 UKP.

Reputedly a recent purchase of a Panther from Russia was alleged to have
cost 250,000 UKP and the vehicle was impounded at the border anyway.

The buyer has a large hole in his pocket and no tank.

Richard
(Southampton UK)