Re: [MV] M38 steering wheel stuck

Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 18:48:14 -0800 (PST)

Calm down,

Its been on there for fifty years, its not going to give up easily!!

My dad, the Army mechanic, said that they used to reverse the nut and
two whacks with a hammer, while pulling up on the wheel, and pop the
wheel came off. DON'T TRY THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE A NEW JEEP!! It won't
work!!

What I did was to drill and tap two holes near the center of the wheel
near the shaft, leave enough room to put the nut back on upside down,
put a plate under the puller bolt, bolt the puller to the two holes
and apply pressure, heat and careful tapping with an appropriate
hammer/mallet.

I don't like the ring method described as it puts the pressure in the
wrong place, too far from the hub.

Joe F.