Re: [MV] New gas

Rob Root (root99@earthlink.net)
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 21:31:58 -0800

Amikesomm@aol.com wrote:

> Hey Guys!
> I have a question about ethanol. In our old MVs, would it be detrimental to
> anything? I mean, the pump and carb are extremely simple and everything is
> brass except the accelerator pump diaphragm and the valves and diaphragms in
> the fuel pump. I know in new complicated computer controlled emissions
> monitored catalytically converted, homogenized, patuerized synthesized
> futurecars that eth is baaaaad. But what about the early iron? Any opinions
> (ha! as if I have to ask?) mike in VA

I have heard of two potential pitfalls using fuels with ethanol added.
One is if you have any natural rubber parts (hoses, diaphragms, etc.),
the ethanol tends to make it deteriorate fast. Does not seem to have
the same effect on synthetic rubber. Specifically I have been cautioned
to be very careful of the original fuel pump diaphragms, because if it
develops a leak, it can dump raw fuel into the crankcase, which dilutes
the oil. If you have installed a recently rebuilt pump, probably no
worries, but be on the lookout for a substantial INCREASE in crankcase
oil. A good friend who is an incredible mechanic also recommends using
fuel injector hose in place of regular fuel line hose. It's quite a bit
more expensive, but he is convinced it holds up much better, and
generally it doesn't require more than a few feet to replace the old
stuff.

The other pitfall is simply that ethanol is a great solvent, and can cut
loose a ton of internal crud that the gasoline does not break down. In
the Seattle area they tend to increase the sale of "oxygenated" fuels
each winter to cut the pollution. I have learned the hard way to
replace inline fuel filters after the first tank of ethanol "enhanced"
fuel each winter.

Best Regards,

-Rob Root
1942 GPW