Re: [MV] Bridge Plates

John Edwards (edwardsj@bigpond.com)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 07:10:26 +1100

David & List,

This info comes from an old part photocopied engineering manual. Sadly I do
not have a list of all vehicle types, but this may give you all a clue.
There are two documents that need to be found to complete the full picture.
They are FM 5-36 & TM 5-312. The document gets very wordy & rambles on about
various issues.

For those that may want specific info please contact me directly & I'll try
an answer it for you.

Rgds,

John

Otherwise, in summary
1) for single vehicles
- yellow circular sign with black numerals
- sign is painted or attached to front or side of vehicle below drivers
line of vision
- signs on front of vehicle are 9" in diam, side mounted plates are 6"
in diam
2) for combo vehicles (semi-trailer)
- any tow or trailer that operate as one complete unit or rig
- the front plate must have a RED "C" above the bridge class number
- side mounted plates on a combo show separate bridge class numbers on
6" sign

To assist all concered there is an expediant formula to use.

W = (A*P*N)/2000 where

W = gross weight of vehicle
A = average tire contact are in square inches (tires on hard surface)
P = tire pressure in PSI
N = number of tires

then round the number up to nearest whole number.