Re: [MV] 1944 Bedford MW(V) 15cwt

Stephen Somers (stephen.somers@virgin.net)
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 19:16:11 -0800

My off-list brother, who worked in a northern Saudi air base for several
years in the early 70's, made the following comments which I forward for
your interest...

> What would the RAF have used this vehicle for? (Mobile Air Traffic
> Control?)

Forward Air Control, perhaps. I had to refurbish a Dodge Power Wagon in
Saudi which had been assembled for just this purpose. The problem was
complicated by the fact that it used a Collins HF Txcvr which (IIRC) was
an early example of surface mount. Oh, and the Txcvr was assembled using
miniature phillips c/s screws, and all our tools had been nicked except
the cabinet screwdriver with the 1/4 inch (across) flat blade!
Fortunately the Txcvr was apparently working. During the process I
worked a Saudia airliner which had just taken off from Tabuk ("Radio
Check") on VHF.

I shall look out for this vehicle next time I visit BP (which should be
RSN).

Ian

--
'75 Land Rover 101" Forward Control, 1-Tonne, General Service
(62FL50 - ex Royal Artillery/2 Commando)