Re: [MV] Burma Jeeps (mil-veh@skylee.com)

JOHN SEIDTS (JKING@prodigy.net)
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 19:40:56 -0000

john@astory.com
http://www.astory.com

----------
> From: Morgan Blanchard <bmorgan@gbis.com>
I am thinking about buying the second one but, having no
> experiance with them I have some questions.

Not the complete expert, but more familiar than most. I own a basket case,
and help keep one running.

> 1) Can anyone give me some sources for parts and manuels for these
things?

Vehicle specific parts are tough to come by; engine parts are not too
tough. There is a fellow named Bob Brown up in Michigan who is full of
parts and knowledge. http://www.portrayal.com has the parts and repair
manual for the Army GTB available. The pair cost about $65.00.

> 2) Were GTBs lend lease vehicles? and if so did they see action with the
> British in NW Europe?

There are some photos of GTB's in Europe, but I haven't seen any with unit
markings.
The US Navy was a big user of the vehicle.

> 3) Can any one give me some pointers on what I should be looking at when
> am considering the purchase of one? (you know, what usualy goes wrong,
what
> parts you can't replace, etc.)

Rear bodies- the cargo bed is hard to come across. Battery covers. Top
bows. The voltage regulator is mounted in such a way that it gets rain on
it. Other than that, the typical things missing on MV's are good
candidates for

> 4) lastly, what is the general reputation of the GTB for service.

The basket case I own was in service until 1975. At that time, some one
started to change theoil, walked away, and an unsuspecting employee got in
and drove it for about an hour, dragging logs. I never got to see the
engine, but wish I had. The one I help keep running was sold surplus in
1946 to the father of the present owner, and has been in continuous use
since then. It has had a front axle rebuild, brakes a few times, two
headgaskets, and runs like a top.

> I am considering buying the truck to use as a support vehicle for my
> British reenactment unit and driving arround the Nevada desert in the
> summer time.
> Any help would be appreciated.

Email privately about any other questions you have. Bob Brown is in the
process of getting on line right now. If you send me your contact
information, I'll pass it on to him.