Re: [MV] German Triumph

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 22:35:12 +0100

Rolf Ask schrieb:
> They did not know anything about the bike. Only that it came to Norway
> with the Wehrmacht, and that it is a 1936 or 1937 model. They also knew
> it was built in Germany (which built Triupmhs for one or two Years), and
> that it has a 200ccm engine.
> The bike is nearly 100% complete, but needs a "cosmetic" restoration.
> If there is anyone who knows anything about Germanbuilt Triumphs I would
> be glad if they could give some words, since I am in the deep blue at
> this time.

The German Triumph company was founded at N=FCrnberg (the English call it
Nuremberg) in 1896 as a daughter company of the English Triumph company
from Coventry. At that time they only produced bicycles.

Since 1903 they produced motorbikes. After WWI the connection between
Triumph (GB) and Triumph (D) was released step by step. The German Triumphs
were sold abroad under the brand TWN (Triumph Werke N=FCrnberg)

The German Triumph company was a big producer of motorbikes, also well know=
for their typewriters.=20

The company closed down the motorbike production in 1957.

The Wehrmacht used the Triumph BD 250 W from 1938 to 1945. 250 cc,=20
double piston two stroke, 12 bhp. This model was specially built for
the Wehrmacht. The Whermacht used also a lot of confiscated civilian
motorbikes.

If you are interested, I can e-mail a picture of this bike.

Best regards
Andreas

=20