RE: [MV] I won!!!

John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 12:14:37 -0600

jorge,

I haven't seen your "prize", but I do live in Minnesota and I just retired
from the National Guard. From your brief description, it sounds like you
have "won" what is known as an "Arctic Deuce". They are deuces that have
been modified for transporting troops, food, and other "perishable" items
during winter. The ones that I am familiar with have had the rear canvas
curtain replaced with a wooden panel, with a door in it. There are usually
dome lights mounted to the roof on the inside, and a personnel heater bolted
to the floor at the front of the cargo space. The heater runs off of battery
power and fuel from the vehicle tank. Some of the trucks have had either
electrical tank heaters or "Swingfire" heaters installed to help them get
started in the winter.

These trucks were usually "owned" by the Training Support Activity on a
given post and loaned out to units that came to train during the winter. The
canvas was thicker than normal on these trucks, because it was insulated. I
haven't seen the truck, but this is my best guess.

John