Re: [MV] Jeeps in the back of deuces...or pickup trucks!

Alan Bowes (inbox@todacosa.com)
Sat, 05 Dec 1998 10:56:36 -0700

Many years ago, I bought a 1941 MB from a fellow in Alaska, which I
hauled all the way home down the AlCan Highway to Utah in the back of a
1957 Ford 3/4-ton F-250 pickup! To get it into the pickup, I put the
jeep on a service station grease rack with planks under the wheels, laid
planks down into the pickup truck bed, and drove the Jeep into the bed.
The front wheels of the Jeep were able to fit between the sides of the
bed, but the rear tires rested on top of the back of the bed and
tailgate. So I removed the rear wheels and lowered the back of the jeep
down into the bed, leaving the tailgate open. It got a lot of attention
while driving it home. It's amazing that I didn't blow a tire or cause
an accident, since the truck was considerably overloaded with the Jeep
and all my other junk. (I DO NOT recommend this method of transport!!!)
I like to think I'm smarter now.

Getting it in the truck was the easy part. When I got home, I found a
big horizontal tree limb and I used a chain winch to hoist the Jeep up
and out of the truck until it was suspended vertically above the bed. I
then drove the truck out from under it, lowered the jeep until the
bumper touched the ground, then carefully lowered the rear end of the
Jeep down onto the ground. I did this in my parents' front yard, which
attracted a small crowd of onlookers. I think my mother still has a
picture somewhere of the jeep dangling from the tree like an ornament
with the neighbors standing around gawking at it.

Hauling a Jeep about in a deuce-and-a-half would be child's play in
comparison. As to the legality of such, I have no idea.

Alan