Re: [MV] What the?

SBJohnston@aol.com
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 20:27:09 EST

John wrote:

>Also, the pedals shake with the engine a little,
>and when I push in the clutch the other pedals move,
>kind of like on an old shower when you turn
>the hot water and the pipes move around behind
>the wall and you can see the cold water handle move.
>Is this normal in these old Jeeps or has
>something serious come loose?

No, it isn't normal. The brake pedal arm and clutch pedal arm pivot on an
shaft mounted perpendicular to the direction of travel in a bracket on the
frame under the driver floor area. You can see it easily if you kneel down
beside the driver's side running-board-ette and look under the frame. Sounds
like one or more of the following has happened...

1. Maybe the lubricant on the shaft has dried up or the bushings are rusty so
that the pedals tend to move together instead of independently. Solution:
disassemble, inspect, and relube.

Plus...

2. Shaft, or bushing in bracket which holds the axle shaft, or the brake
pedal arm is worn so the pedals are wobbling around. Solution: replace worn
parts. I rebuilt mine inexpensively with New Old-Stock (NOS) parts from Army
Jeep Parts in Bristol PA (215) 788-6012 voice, (215) 788-6023 fax .

and/or

2. Bracket is loose on the frame. Solution: tighten it up to the frame.

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com