Re: [MV] Re: Deuces and interchangeability

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 22:41:45 -0600 (CST)

>Never had any trouble at all...and many consider this a very reliable
>engine...it's the rest of the Goat that is questionable. It is certainly
>fine for an MV that won't see tons of mileage, if you don't mind all the
>racket under the hood. Of course, for an M37 swap if you are looking
>strictly for reliability (and want to retain your hearing), a Chrysler
>slant-six would be tough to beat.

I've never talked to anyone (outside of the MV arena) that has anything good
to say about the 53 series Detroits except in stationary or other fixed
speed applications. As I recall the 353 in the Goat is an Aluminum block
which makes the problem worse, that is the seal between the sleeves and
block. If your looking for M561 engine package (plus trany, rad, etc) I was
at an engine dealer/broker in Dallas (or was it Houston???) and he must have
had 50 NEW ones laying on the floor. Seems that even though the Goat was
obsolete, the contract for power packs (as they called them) were still
being delivered, then immediately being surplussed. That is all.

je