Re: [MV] Japanese towed artillery i.d.

Product of Alkett (sturmtiger1944@yahoo.com)
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 23:29:04 -0800 (PST)

---Bob & Jeff Gallagher wrote:

> Gun #1. Looks like a 37mm gun similar to the US 37mm. The date on
the gun
> is 1941. Did these come in the Type 1, Type 2 variety? What were the
> differences? What would the towing vehicle have been? I am
assuming it is
> 37mm...or was it something else (40mm)?

>From the sounds of it, this is the 47mm Anti-tank Gun Type 1. First
designed in 1941, this weapon used a
version of the German PaK 35/36's semi-automatic sliding breech ( the
U.S. 37mm gun was also, in and of itself, a version of the PaK ). The
47mm Type 1 was to replace the older Type 94 37mm and Type 98 37mm AT
gun but the 47mm Type 1 was never available in enough numbers to fully
replace the older weapons. Of the crop of Japanese AT guns, the Type 1
was a threat to the Sherman and the lighter M3 "Stuarts", able to
penetrate 51mm of armor at 1,000 yards.

As for what moved it...that could be anything...from man power,
horses, to prime movers.

> Gun#2. An odd little thing. Looks like a howitzer...a short (2
foot?)
> large (60mm?) barrel mounted on a small carriage with metal and wood
> wheels...no rubber tires. The whole thing, trails included, is only
about
> a foot longer than a bicycle. Has a gun shield and is breech loaded.
> Questions: What is it? What is the barrel size? What year might
it have
> been built and employed i.e. did they use them in WWII? What would
have
> been the towing vehicle, if any...or was it just pulled around by
hand?

>From the sounds of this one...we might be talking about the 70mm
Battlion Gun Type 92. Usually moved by a horse team, more often than
not, men did the lugging. In action, it only weighed 468lbs. The crew
was 10 men, most of them to move it about and carry ammunition. It was
used during World War II. I'm not sure when it entered service...but
it is considered one of the best infantry support guns of the war.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Ed