Re: [MV] Maintenance Manual

SBJohnston@aol.com
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 14:03:10 EST

Jacknshaw@aol.com wrote:

>Can someone recommend a good maintenance manual for ongoing
>routine and major work on my GPW, and where I might purchase

While I don't have a GPW (a 1951 M38 owns me), I have a book entitled
"Maintenance Manual for the 1/4 ton Willys Truck TM-10-1513 Change number 1
May 15, 1942" which I bought at the local "Border's" book store (amazing!) It
covers both MB and GPW. It is a current reprint of the original government
manual published by U.S.M. Inc., PO Box 810, Lakeville MN 55044-0810. The
ISBN is 0-910-667-16-0 .

In addition, the two "All American Wonder" books by Ray Cowdery are a great
resource for work on the WWII jeeps (and my M38 too since it is somewhat
similar). I bought these off the shelf at Border's book (again amazing!).
They are published by U.S.M. Inc. as well. Volume one is ISBN 0-910667-10-1
and Volume two is ISBN 0-910667-20-9 .

I've also been very pleased with the "Portrayal Press" reprints of the
original military tech manuals for the M38 and I'm certain they would have
reprints of many appropriate books for the GPW. They have a web site, but I
apologize I can't give the the address since I'm checking email from a
computer without my usual web browser "address book" . It is something like
http://www.portrayalpress.com I'm sure. You could go the excellent "Olive
Drab" web site (which is http://www.olive-drab.com I believe) and find a link
to Portrayal Press.

Steve Johnston