Re: [MV] RE: Sunken Treasures

Maurizio Beretta (pierino@tin.it)
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:43:46 +0100

In 22.54 14/12/98 +0000, hai scritto:
>Hi Maurizio:
> Joe died in 1994 after moving to Florida. I do not recall the name
>of the Western Italy port and looking at the world atlas did not ring
>any bells in my mind. I do remember that he said it was the largest
>port on the west coast and was relativly undamaged prior to the
>Allies seizing it and the Allies avoided bombing it as much as
>possible so that they could use it. It was within an easy jeep ride
>of Rome since they went there on three day passes.
> He stated they steamed due west then steamed north and south in a
>racetrack pattern ,sometimes two or three ships abrest while dumping.
> I wish I could be of more help.
> Happy Holidays,
> Ron

ciao Ron,

thank you for details,

perhaps the harbour you were talking is "Civitavecchia", apprx 40 sm from
Rome or, a little bit far, "Livorno" ,120 sm, called also "Leghorn" in
english, in Tuscany.

sea is deep in these location, and I think that a rescue will be quite
impossible.

The Italian Navy is performing in these month a search and rescue operation
near Lampedusa, a little island south of sicily, not far from Tunisia
coastline: they are looking mainly for explosives, and I think no MV
enthusiasts will be allowed on board of the navy units ;-(((

merry Christmas
| | Maurizio BERETTA mailto:pierino@tin.it
/\__----__/\ http://space.tin.it/io/maurbere
/_/()||||()\_\ http://members.xoom.com/pierino
|_\ o||||o /_| Chiasso, 11
|----JeeP----| I - Milan 20155 ICQ # 8438805
|_| |_| ph. + 39 023270228 fax + 39 023270228