Re: [MV] Shippin out...

SBJohnston@aol.com
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 13:03:57 EST

JOHN SEIDTS wrote:

>In WWII, movements of troops and equipment were
>protected with the secrecy that surrounds Nuclear
>Missile technology. It would have been a serious
>offense in 1942 to do what Shane did here on the group.
>At least it would have gotten him detained and
>questioned for a few days. And we had a
>relatively spy-free war here in the US, so it
>wasn't really as necessary as it was made out to be.
>But the leadership of this country knew that we were
>a talkative nation, so the screws were put on tightly.

Well, sometimes the screws were tight and sometimes they weren't. Here's an
excerpt from an interview I did a few weeks ago for an article on the
experiences of an airman in WWII...

SBJ: When did you leave McCook?

HRR: In late September we got our orders to move to Charleston Army Air Base,
but the troop movement was supposed to kept *very* secret. In spite of these
precautions, somebody spread the word that we were leaving and half the town
came out to send us off at the RR station. Even more confusing was the fact
that the base band paraded through town playing martial music announcing our
departure. Some secret.